A Green Choice
Le Méridien St. Julian's Hotel & Spa is unmatched in its remarkable environmental efforts in sustainable tourism and eco-related initiatives - activities that have been appreciated and recognised by many prestigious green awards.
Waste management, energy saving programs and soft environmental upgrades of the hotel facilities are fully integrated into this dynamic green awareness, defending the local natural patrimony.
As part of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, Le Méridien St. Julian's Hotel & Spa formed a partnership in 2009 with Conservation International for an initial worldwide focus on Energy & Water namely 30 by 20, which aims to achieve a reduction of 30% on energy consumption and 20% on water consumption by the year 2020.
Additionally the hotel was awarded 1st place for its commitment towards Environmental Sustainability in Malta at the European Week for Waste Management promoted by the European Union.
- Management Team to monitor environmental effects and suggest improvements on methods to reduce waste, energy consumption and water use
- Application of “green procurements” principles when purchasing
- Implementation of waste separation and management programme for the recycling of waste
- Reuse of printed paper – ecological paper for printing
- Recycling of photocopy and printing toners
- Use of biodegradable cleaning and washing products
- Use of white-goods free from CFC
- Preventive measures to control wastage of water supplies
- Using pesticide and herbicide of low impact on the environment
- ''Make a Green Choice programme” providing guests the option of reusing linen in the room (as opposed to daily standard procedure)
- Use of LEDs lighting in guest rooms and public areas
- Use of hand dryers in public toliets- minimising paper hand towels
- Noise pollution awareness
- Low use of chemicals for pools and whirlpools
- In-room collateral advising guests to assist the hotel in reaching its environmental sustainable targets
- Sensors for lighting management system in the garage
- Waste Reduction Reward in the Food Waste Reduction Category | Wasteserv Malta, 2014
- Green Key Award 2013, 2014
- Waste Reduction Award | European Commission for Resources and Rural Affairs 2012
- Travelife Gold Sustainability in Tourism Award | Travelife Gold Awards 2009 - 2011
- Travelife Gold Sustainability in Tourism Award | Travelife Gold Awards 2011 - 2013
- US Ambassador's Award for Environmental Excellence | US Embassy 2011
- Waste Minimisation Award | Cleaner Technology Centre, 2011- 2012, 2012-2013
- Nominated for the European Waste Reduction Awards | WasteServ, 2011